Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Moving Out

Welp - our house is officially empty! Except for some random cleaning supplies and tools.

We've had a busy couple of days. Packing and moving isn't my favorite thing to do, but luckily we got an early start on it and spread it out over about 2 weeks, so it didn't really seem too bad. The master bathroom is basically done except for the cosmetic finishing touches which we will be working on in the next 2 weeks. We also found a company to install a fence around a portion of the backyard to close in the pool for the future families with kiddos moving in. The stress level is starting to go down now that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and everything is falling into place. It's kind of like the week before your wedding. A few weeks before the wedding, stress levels are at a 10...but the week of your wedding, it somehow melts away and you figure, if it's going to go wrong, it will, but things will still work out just fine & you could care less!

One of the hickups we ran into was the granite top for our master bathroom vanity. I ordered it online and we were keeping it ouside under our carport for a day or to before we could move it inside. It started raining hard one night, good ol' Alabama downpour. Frank and I tried to get the top moved inside so it wouldn't get wet...well, it cracked down the middle the second we lifted it out of the box! Grr! $500 mistake! I didn't think there was any chance the company would take it back since I already signed for the delivery saying it wasn't broken, but they were actually very nice and told me they would either have us send it back for credit, or let us scrap it and credit us! I can tell you most companies (especially online companies) wouldn't be that understanding! If you ever remodel a bathroom, FaucetDirect.com is highly recommended for bathroom fixtures! We bought our vanity, sinks, and linen cabinet from them and have been very happy with the customer service. I ended up calling all over town to find someone who could have a granite top built to the specs of the old one and have it ready within a week and finally found someone. I actually like our new granite top better, it's better quality, prettier...and cheaper! So it ended up working out in the long run.

Packing everything into our 10x15 storage was like playing a life size game of tetris, but we made it work! On Sunday we were packing the last of our things and Frank asks me if I knew where his guitar lesson CD's and books were...uhhhh....oops, they are packed into one of the boxes. I meticulously labeled each and every box with the contents, and even numbered them all (on all sides of the box) and wrote all the contents into a notebook just in case. Learning from experience...but of course I don't have the notebook with me at the storage facility. So anyway- Frank decides that he's going to find the box with his guitar lessons. I knew the box was somewhere on the back left hand side of the storage which was now packed to the brim. It was soo funny watching him monkey his way back there and digging through all those boxes, I felt so bad for him, but he really wanted his guitar lesson book! He literally had to dig a hole through all our junk and look at each and every box. He got down to the last box at the very bottom, in the far corner of the storage unit and there it was! Haha! Poor guy, it was seriously in the last box it could have been in, in the worst spot ever, but he got his lessons! And to make matters worse, when we were pulling out of the storage facility after packing the last of our things he asks me if I have his phone...nope. He left it in the back of the storage unit! Ha! I ended up crawling back there to find it (under a pillow, on vibrate nonetheless. It was definitely a sight to see. Our storage has a 10 ft ceiling and I was basically army crawling through the one foot space we had open at the top over our matresses, chairs, entertainment center, etc. It was comical to say the least. At least we can laugh about it :)

We've been in the RV 3 nights now and it's actually pretty fun! No complaints yet, so far my only annoyance is having to drain out the shower water every couple of showers, the tank seems to fill up fast. Or maybe I just take long showers? Other than that, it's been a good time :). I will post photos of the RV life soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment