Thursday, September 1, 2011

Organization: Not my strong suit


It may not look like much, but it will take hours to file :(
I have a problem.

The first step is admitting it, right? Why do I procrastinate so much when it comes to organizing?? Ugh- here I am with about a month’s worth of paperwork to file sitting on my desk. I go through this every month. Instead of filing as I go, I let it all build up. I have got to get my crap together before I leave for vacation. Guess what I’ll be doing today…my favorite thing ever…filing.

Filing has got to be the most boring, mundane, horrible office task…EVER. I’d rather copy and collate the whole Encyclopedia Britannica. Ok. Maybe I won’t go that far…but I pretty much hate it.

Which is a little weird, because at home, I don’t really mind filing and organizing (although I still procrastinate nonetheless).

In the next month or so I’m going to try and accomplish the following to help get my life a little more organized at home: 

1. Find every single piece of paperwork/mail/whatever it is around the house and get it filed away. I hate papers that float around the house and never get dealt with. About once a month it seems we have to do a thorough sort/trash/file session around our house.  
2. Buy a binder to organize all the recipes that I’ve printed off the internet. Currently they are all stashed very unorganized-like in a drawer in the kitchen, and it’s getting out of control. 
3. Find some sort of system to file all our appliance/gadget/home stuff warranties, manuals, paperwork, etc. I have no idea where to start with all of this…it’s a little overwhelming.
4. We should probably break down and just buy a full size filing cabinet for our house. Although I am impressed with how long we’ve managed to resist the filing cabinet, I think it’s probably necessary now! So far we’ve just been using a few old filing boxes. 
5. I also need to look into some sort of scanning/online storing system for important receipts, paperwork, etc. Any suggestions on how to do this and what software to look in to? 


See what just happened? I just spent precious time that I could have been organizing, writing how I should be organized! Ahh! Ok...really now, I'm going to tackle this stack of papers and quit putting it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment